RSS
My whole life is a lie. From magic to acting I never see the truth. In this blog I will seek and share the truths I know.

You are a *Special* Customer!


Well this started as a rant on a magic website. Another magician was hawking a new trick and trying to get people to 'pre-order' and 'get on the email list'. These *special* people who buy the trick before its officially released or get on the email list, have 'exclusive access' to the trick before us normal pee-ons.

Not sure why but this rubbed me the wrong way, and I sent a not so nice response to them. This got me thinking as the magic guy isn't the only one who thinks that you should sign up on a list to become a 'special customer'.
Most grocery stores, bookstores, coffee shops, etc all have these discount cards that will save you a few pennies on certain items that you buy. They make it sound like a club that you are joining. A special club for those lucky enough to be invited to join. Truth is anyone can join. And you only save $ on certain select items of their choosing. Which is ok, but the trade off is, that I have to give out some very personal information. Name, Address, Phone #, Email. Things I would rather keep private! Is it worth it to save a dollar? I guess that depends on how much you value your privacy.

I then got to thinking about this more and it really started to piss me off. Instead of suckering people into giving out their personal information for god know what, under the guise of the 'Special Discount Club', isn't it them who should actually feel special?

I mean I could have gone to ANY OTHER grocery store, coffee shop, book store. Any one of your competitors would be happy to have my business. But I DIDN'T go to them. I came to YOU! Doesn't that make you the 'Special One'? I don't know where or when the customer started to come second. But I for one am gonna start putting my foot down and demanding that I get those same special deals, not because I am a 'Special Club Card' holder but because I am YOUR customer!

You see its very simple. If I don't get the same savings without the card, then YOUR customer, will become THEIR, customer.

2 comments:

Donovan said...

Chad, while I see your point, it's not so much about collecting private data for nefarious uses, it's all about marketing. If you have information on your customers; what they buy, when they buy, how much they spend, etc. You can better tailor your "sales" to bring in even more customers.

Besides, the information they collect when you join their "shopper's club" (name, address, phone, email) is the same information that is generally available via any search of public records (e.g. www.whitepages.com).

So in effect you're helping a store you frequent be a little more efficient at marketing by giving them information they could obtain anyway in return for a few pennies off certain items.

So I ask, is *this* really the topic you want to take a stand on?

ChadSanborn said...

I understand the marketing value in this. They can see what I buy and target me with specific coupons for products that they know I buy on a regular basis. Which is GREAT! Im all for that.

But this has yet to happen! Not once, for any of the cards I have, to any store, have they ever sent me a coupon that way. EVER!

Its like someone had a good idea, then their was no follow thru. Either that or I just don't buy items that they can target me with.

Either way at this point, I have nothing to show for signing up except a wallet full of plastic cards!

So yes this is one topic (among many) that I DO wanna take a stand on.

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Sanborns Blog. All rights reserved.
Free WordPress Themes Presented by EZwpthemes.
Bloggerized by Miss Dothy